Sunday, May 16, 2010

Why I Dislike It #2 - Who Wants to Date a Bitch?

Zoosk ads are popping up all over the web. I can't seem to escape them. It's a cool dating site concept, in that it allows those with pre-existing accounts on Facebook, Bebo and Hi5 (to name a few) to get started quickly and easily with online dating.

Over the past two weeks, their ads have improved. All now show cute young women, aged below 25 years old. The women sport darling smiles and flounce their hair and generally emit an air of desire. A couple weeks before that?

This image to the left is one of the two most common banner ads I encountered. The other image showed a cropped image of a girl who looked like she was feeling super awkward trying to shoot one of those mirror self-portraits.

Neither image exactly screamed, "Look how adorable. You know you want a girlfriend with this type of personality." Seriously?!

The girl in the image to the left seems to be saying that same thing. "Seriously? Did you really just hit on me? Ew!"

Perhaps the marketers thought the cleavage would distract us from the fact that she looks like she would be a classic stuck-up bitch. Or perhaps they thought that TrUe's marketing campaign was one to emulate.

I don't know about you, but the last type of girlfriend I desire is one who will constantly tell us how gross or weird I am. The girl in this ad looks like she has practiced her OMG face all-too often. Thanks, Zoosk, but no thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Apparently, being a bitch is a real selling point for some people. "Why Men Marry Bitches" spent some time on the bestseller list.

    Maybe that's why I'm single...I'm not enough of a bitch. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I never received notice of your post, MI. Sorry for not responding sooner.

    I think you've got a point about being a bitch as a selling point. I have had friends who are downright terrified of their wife/gf bitching about their actions/behaviors.

    It's always boggled me why anyone would want a relationship like that, but my friends in those situations love their bitchy ladies deeply and fear losing them.

    I firmly believe those guys are really just looking for substitutes for their mothers.

    ReplyDelete