Sunday, April 29, 2012

Giving Up the Jezebel

One online magazine is currently rising to prominence faster than most: Jezebel.

Jezebel staked a claim on the news world, or is it the news world that has staked its claim on Jezebel?

Many are the times it is cited as a source in such news aggregators as The Week or Yahoo! News. The citations the fastly famous femazine has racked up in the last month is stellar.  That’s why I checked it out and have subscribed to its RSS feed.

I now regret my decision to follow Jezebel.

Thirty or more Jez stories per day fill up my Google Reader. Only three or four at most are newsworthy.

Then, it’s a good day when even one of them comes close to a more traditional reporting approach. Every article is so deeply infused with the writer’s opinions and over-the-top personalities. They’d be mildly funny in conversation, but not so much in a publication.

Jez also likes to take exceptionally hard lines on “minority” issues. A recent article on ways that hipsters are racist reminded me of my days in some of my English classes in college. The article was excellent at points but then would step into the realm of hypersensitivity.

Please don’t misunderstand. I appreciate edgy and fun writing. A good editorial or commentary breaks up the seriousness of hard-hitting news.

I really wanted to be into Jezebel but just can’t bring myself to do it. There is too little content of substance, a high amount of superficial fluff, an alienating hypervoice, but most importantly too many opinions and not enough reporting. For the same reasons I don’t enjoy FOX news or Maxim, I cannot find long term pleasure from Jez.

Bye-bye Jezebel, I wish you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment