Tuesday, July 30, 2013

TMI Tuesday: July 30, 2013 - Will You Marry Me?

Thank you to John D Stories for TMI Tuesday today. He had this to say about his inspiration for this week’s questions: I was stuck behind a caravan with an interesting thing painted on the back . . .

1. Do you believe in marriage?
This is a tricky question. Do I literally believe in the existence of marriage? That's unarguable as evidenced by the many married couples around me, including my own.  Do I believe in some notion that marriage is a sacred institution? Yes and no. I do believe that if one takes a vow that should respect the sanctity of that particular vow (think really hard about what you’re saying before you commit). I don't, however, believe in marriage as some religiously sacred bond, or that it should be between only one man and one woman. Marriage should be treated like a tattoo. Sure, you can get a divorce, just like you can now safely remove tattoos without a trace of them ever having been there to begin with, but both processes are painful and all too often unnecessary had you not committed to them in the first place. And I most certainly do not believe in monogamy. That’s fucked up way too marriages to count.
2. Have you ever proposed marriage or been proposed to marry? What happened?
I proposed marriage to my wife and her to me, and well, we’re now in our nineteenth year of marriage, so I suppose you can figure out what happened.
3. What would be your dream way of proposing marriage?
For me, spontaneity is what it’s about. I gave up on crafting “dream” situations for anything because they rarely if ever play out as planned. Let it fly from the heart, say I.
4. What would be your nightmarish way of proposing marriage?
My nightmarish way of proposing would be with a large crowd looking on. I’m too shy and private for such an approach. Plus what if the other rejects me, or if I want to reject the other’s proposal? That would be awkward, to say the least.
5. Mainstream society has engagement rings; in your opinion, what token should be given to signify engagement?
Nothing. I’m not materialistic and couldn’t be with someone who is materialistic enough to expect such material signs of love. Giving your metaphoric heart and soul are the greatest things you can give to someone you love regardless of the situation.
6. What do you think would have happened to cause someone to have “Will you marry me?” on the back of their caravan?
I would think that they are touring the country searching for someone who will marry them. 
Bonus: Tell us about someone you would have proposed to but never had the chance/opportunity.
I’ve never been in such a situation. I married at 22 and am still in that marriage. I have dreamt of being married to others, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment