Tuesday, June 24, 2014

TMI Tuesday: June 24, 2014 - School Days

For many areas of the world, this time of year is graduation time at formal institutions of learning. Thus, it is a good time for us to think back about our own education.

Below is a list of academic fields of study. For as many of these disciplines as possible, share a memory. It could be something that happened in class, an Aha! moment, something about the teacher or something that was helpful later in life.

Thanks to virtualsin.wordpress.com for this week’s TMI Tuesday  theme.

1. English

In high school, I was in one of the only English classes at the time to have The Hobbit as required reading.

2. History

In 9th Grade World History, while studying the Crusades, I made a snap decision to denounce religion in its entirety and to claim to be an Atheist. In retrospect, it wasn’t a snap decision but a final confirmation of a decision I’d been contemplating for a long time. When I told my mom, she yelled at me and called me out for switching. After all, at one time, I had been the one responsible for pushing her toward Christianity, which she embraced as a result.

3. Foreign Language (French, Spanish, Latin…)

I have studied all of these Latin-based languages throughout my compulsory and collegiate education (as well as others both independently and for work). The thing that surprised me most once I took Latin was learning that, much against what I’d previously thought\been taught, English is not a Latin-based language; it’s German in its origins.

4. Psychology

I never took a formal Psychology course but have studied it independently. It was through the study of Wicca, that I learned about my favorite of all Psychologists: Carl Jung.

5. Mathematics

While taking Algebra II in high school, my math teacher told me it wasn’t my fault I wasn’t getting it; I was just “algebraically retarded.” 

6. Physics

Never took it, but studied it independently in bits and pieces.

7. Chemistry

When learning about covalent bonds, I had an Aha! moment that the natural world presents terrific metaphors for personal relationships.

8. Biology

I had a crush on a friend of my sister’s who sat next to me in Biology. Years later, I discovered she had one on me, too. There’s a metaphor in here somewhere. ;)

9. Gym

I learned that achievement charts are bullshit when it comes to weight training. Someone 6’1” and 155 lbs should not be capable of bench pressing the same weight as someone who weighs the same but stands 5-6 inches shorter.

Bonus: Did you have sex education class in school? What grade or age did you have this class? Thinking back on the sex education class what was the most surprising thing you learned? Was this class helpful to you in your sex life?

I had sex education at two points during my compulsory education: 4th and 8th grades. My mom was always very open about sex and had I not had it in school, I’d have gotten all I needed through her. That said, nothing I learned surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment